The Lego Madhouse and Me


Welcome to The Lego Madhouse,

My name is Christopher Pearce, perhaps better known as CapnRex101 throughout the online Lego community. I am based in the UK and recently decided that I would embark on a somewhat ambitious project, that being to create my own MOC of Arkham Asylum.

On this blog I will document my progress surrounding the MOC, from initial designs to build pictures right through to the finished article, as well as giving some of my views on more general Lego news and sets.

Saturday 16 February 2013

Arkham Asylum - Construction Concept One...

After a month or so of sketches and designs, I think it is time to show one of the concepts I have actually built in Lego over the last few days. As you can see in the images below, this is just a tiny model, built to demonstrate how I might go about constructing small water outlets in the sewers and Killer Croc's lair. I imagine this exact design will not make it into the final model, as this was created with a relatively limited parts palette, but it certainly gets the idea across. I hope this design also conveys the atmosphere of decay and dilapidation which I am hoping to include in my final model.


I was recently able to get my hands on hundreds of 1x2 and 1x1 translucent plates from my local Lego Store, as they were available in the new and improved Pick-a-Brick wall there. These will be very useful no doubt for creating more water effects like you can see here, as well as the ice details I plan to include in Mr Freeze's cell when I get to that stage.



This will be just the first in a series of small models to demonstrate planned building techniques which will continue throughout this gargantuan project. For the moment however, tell me what you think of this design for achieving a watery effect, any constructive criticism and suggestions are of course very welcome.


2 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! My only suggestion would be to maybe make the wall a slightly darker shade of grey so that it gave the cave a darker feel to it. Or if there is an opening to the cave from the outside then you could build the front of the cave with a lighter grey and the inside with a darker grey. As always though it's just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately there is no darker shade of grey available to use, however in this photo the model was very well lit, but in the final model this kind of thing will be inside. Therefore it will only be lit by shafts of light coming in hopefully. There will certainly be a mix of dark and light greys in the rock work outside to achieve the natural appearance of the cliffs, so that idea will be a sure inclusion. Thank you for the advice.

      Delete